Thursday, August 6, 2026
Retirement - Not for ME!
You took up competitive swimming after retiring from your banking career. At what age did you retire? What inspired you to take that leap?
"Actually, I came back from working overseas in 2017. For some reason, I don't like the word 'retirement'. I was looking for ways to stay active. That's when I started intermittent fasting, and today I even mentor about 70 people on it. I also developed an interest in kombucha and fermented foods because I've always been passionate about wellness. Then, in 2019, some of my college friends invited me to a state Masters competition. They remembered me as a childhood river swimmer. I had never competed before, even though I'd been swimming since I was a child. In fact, I often say I probably learned to swim before I learned to walk because my house was near a river. I went to the state meet in Thiruvananthapuram and won a few medals, which was a huge thrill. That qualified me for the national championships in Baroda, where I didn't win anything. But I'm very competitive, and that only motivated me to work harder.
Kerala's Kurian Jacob, at 76, is proving that age is no barrier to chasing big dreams. The Masters swimmer has become an inspiration for people across the country with his relentless drive and passion for fitness, redefining what healthy ageing and sporting excellence can look like in India. Although he began competing only in 2019, swimming has been part of his life since childhood. Growing up in a house near a river, Kurian says he learned to swim even before he learned to walk. After returning to India from an overseas banking career at age 67, he decided retirement was not for him. Instead, he chose to pursue something he truly loved.
Courtesy: The Hindustan Times
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment